In 2004, the Local Government Association of Tasmania (LGAT) approached High Performance to create customised learning and development programs for elected members, managers and Council staff. LG Performance Tasmania was created to specifically address the unique issues and career paths within Tasmanian Local Government. To date 25 Councils have benefited from short courses and tailored programs in Teamwork, Leadership, Aspiring Managers, Communication, Customer Service and elected member workshops.
In 2010, a survey of Councils revealed that short courses were not as relevant as they once were, and Councils preferred programs customised to specific individual and team performance outcomes. LG Performance Tasmania now takes great care in diagnosing each Council individually, and drawing on our proven curriculums, offers a full range of highly confidential, effective and appropriate organisational development programs.
Additionally, LG Performance coordinates Workforce Development Plans resulting from skill audits and job scoring; General Manager performance reviews are also supported by LG Performance. Employee engagement surveys, leadership assessment for succession planning, manager/team leader talent reviews and emotional intelligence programs also support Councils in identifying key factors in improving individual and organisational performance.
If the involvement of an RTO is required (for qualifications), LG Performance coordinates their input with no additional Council investment. Our focus is always on individualised, powerful programs which maximise implementation in the business of a Council, not on certificates. We are committed to understanding and exceeding Council expectations.
Below are just some of the topics which we have delivered to Local Councils in Tasmania:
Senior Management Development – Leadership
- Creating a leadership strategy
- Selecting & developing leaders
- Focusing on talent
- Succession planning: HR Involvement
- Managing & developing staff
- Disciplinary Process
- Effective staff communication
- Task Adjustment
- Identifying and dealing with challenges of local council resource & time
- Change Management – Reactive
- Service Expectations
- Code – compliance – regulatory role
- Managing Performance
- Getting it done through others
- Developing individual & team capacity
- Strategic thinking: performance & potential
Communication & Service
- Recognising the most challenging behaviours
- Bullying and Harassment
- Conflict Resolution
- One on one communication
- Tolerance of behaviours
- Rapid recognition of challenging “styles”
- Increased flexibility – tolerance – self awareness
- Meeting team and local council expectations
- Exceptional customer service
- Challenges with teamwork in Council
- Communication – satisfaction – engagement
- Group dynamics: strengths/limitations
- Effective/efficient internal service- response
- Teamwork: Internal across departments
- Behaviours: tolerance – effectiveness & flexibility
- Chairing meetings: preparation/during/after
- Managing & Leadership change
- Self management: prevent stress
- Communicate effectively, juggle priorities
- Dealing with challenging people: behaviours
- Leveraging off each other: team work
- Adapting/preparing for change
- Leading Change – coaching
LG Performance Tasmania has a dedicated Council specialist with over 30 years experience – Mr Alan Gill.
Andrew Reimer is a regular contributor to the LGAT Magazine, and his published articles are archived here.